This is a little one-bite cookie that, like many fried cookies in Italy, is typically prepared during the carnival time in February.
- Two 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed orange and lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Marsala
- Peanut or olive oil for frying, as needed
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, and citrus zest. Blend in the eggs and Marsala. Mix until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and shape into small balls about 1/2 ounce each and about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees F. Cook the castagnole, in batches, until they have a dark color, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.